Monday, May 18, 2009

Google Hacking with Webex - Cool Recon tool

The idea for this actually sprang from a webex conference I was involved in recently. Before what turned out to be an eventually boring conference, with esoteric Powerpoint slides being shoved into my screen. I received an email from the organization that was hosting the meeting. Upon clicking the link to join the meeting, I was directed to the organization's WebEx Enterprise Site page. where I signed in using a Conference ID and a meeting password. Simple enough.

After the odious meeting I attended, as I signed out of the conference, a feedback form was thrown at me asking me how the meeting went, which I duly ignored and went about my business. This idea actually sprung in my head when I was sitting through the conference and thought about using WebEx to perform some initial reconnaissance activity for a Pen test. I noticed, before signing in that the organization had planned some more sales meetings with what looked like their prospective customers, which intrigued me.

I then put my Google Hacking Hat on and wrote a simple Google query intitle:"WebEx Enterprise Site" based on the title I had seen in the organization's WebEx site. Not surprisingly, several organization's WebEx links popped up in the Google Search results. As I started exploring around, I noticed some very confidential information up for grabs in several sites. Not only could I gain some valuable information about some sales meetings and internal group meetings they had lined up with their prospective clients or already-existing clients, not to mention internal organization members, but also some of them had recorded their conferences and these recordings were available for me to view.

While this is not a "Security Vulnerability" in the traditional, technological sense. It is a way for competitors to get some valuable info about your potential clients or your new offerings to the market (some internal meetings had the names of the products or projects these organizations were currently working on). This, is also an excellent way to perform an all-round Penetration Tests. While the ordinary Pen-test involves performing garden variety Network and App layer exercises, these methods can add significant value to a pen test and provide a bit of the old "Out of the Box" information.

No comments:

Disclaimer

The views presented in this blog are entirely mine and are not those of my company.

© Abhay Bhargav 2010